Local Employment Policy
PTTEP attempts to hire local employees in every country we operate with an aim to provide decent and well-paid jobs to local people to improve their quality of living. In addition to providing job opportunities, PTTEP provides learning and development opportunities and ensures knowledge transfer from expatriates to local employees so that local employees obtain knowledge, skills and experience required to fulfil their current roles’ requirements and prepare their capability readiness to replace expatriates in the future for sustainable growth of PTTEP business and the economic and social development of the countries we operate in.
Human Capital Development
To increase the organization capability and accelerate the competency development of our staff for continuous expansion of the Company’s business domestically and internationally, PTTEP has developed and improved the capability development systems and processes by implementing the competency-based training and development, focusing on 70:20:10 development model (70% On-the-Job Training, 20% Coaching and Mentoring, 10% Formal Training). Training and development programs are provided to employees through the following channels.
- In-House and External Training: The Company provides in-house and external trainings, domestically and overseas, to employees and management at all levels. These trainings comprise a wide variety of courses including technical and functional training, Safety, Security, Health and Environment (SSHE) training, organizational knowledge training as well as other skills required to increase day-to-day work efficiency e.g. computer skills training, foreign language training, business administration and leadership skills training, etc.
- Long-term Training and Development Programs: Long-term training and development programs aim to prepare employees for roles and assignments in the Company’s current and future projects. The programs are generally provided to selected employees based on their Individual Development Plan (IDP) in 1 – 3 years. By this approach, the employees are required to undertake on-the-job training through assignments with the Company's projects or assets or be temporarily assigned to work with the Company’s business partners or services companies in Thailand and overseas.
- Master’s Degree Scholarship Programs for Employees: The Company provides scholarships to employees to help them pursue master’s degrees in world-class universities all over the world in the following fields.
- Petroleum Geosciences
- Petroleum Engineering
- Drilling and Well Engineering
- Business Administration
The Company also provides master’s degree scholarships, without legally binding, for employees to study in Thailand’s reputable institutes as follows:
- Business Administration (Executive), SASIN Graduate Institute of Business Administration of Chulalongkorn University
- Petroleum Geoscience (International Program), Chulalongkorn University
- Petroleum Geophysics (International Program), Chiang Mai University
PTTEP has a systematic succession plan for vacant management positions resulting from retirement and reorganization in the next 5 years to support the Company’s business expansion domestically and internationally. The Career Review Board (CRB) Committee is authorized to select and appoint successors for management positions using PTTEP Management Success Profile of each business area (Asset Management, Business Development, Technical Support and Business Support) as screening criteria. These profiles comprise of Competency, Personal Attribute, Organization Knowledge and Experience required for target positions while Currently Estimated Potential (CEP) is also taken into consideration. Once the successors are identified, their individual short-term and long-term development plans will then be created with focus on technic and functional knowledge, managerial skills, personalities, and soft skills required in accordance with corporate values and organizational culture, to ensure that the successors are readily qualified for the target positions by time of requirement.
Talent Attraction and Retention
PTTEP recognizes the emerging trend in the labor market. There is an increasing proportion of Generation Y and Generation Z employees. The company has created the Digital Center of Excellence (DCoE) to propel PTTEP into the digital age. Human Resources (HR) Strategy has also been adjusted to meet the lifestyle of the new generations. In 2019, the company started using “WeConnect”, an application that is based on SAP-SuccessFactors platform, to allow staff to get in touch with Human Resources (HR) information from any devices, anywhere in the world.
In order to attract a new generation of employees, PTTEP has also widened recruitment channels to online platforms, such as LinkedIn and Facebook. During the past three years, 2 out of every 3 successful candidates came through Facebook and LinkedIn. Additionally, the company developed an interactive application that provides information for those who want to learn more about PTTEP’s businesses. The application can also help evaluate whether prospective candidates’ behaviors and interests, and values of the company match before they start applying. This helps enhance the image of PTTEP as a digital organization.
PTTEP adjusts work environments to suit the young generations by allowing flexible working hours, Casual Fridays, as well as establishing a cozy, innovative, and digital workplace as common area for co-working space, hot-desk (mobile office), relaxation and recreation activities. The area is also used to promote innovation activities such as Design Thinking workshops and idea exchange event.
In addition, the Discovery club and E-Sport club were established to respond to global trends in the areas of digital and innovation.
Moreover, PTTEP is applying chatbot technology to assist our employees in HR management activities e.g. getting information about welfare, benefits and processing leave request from their personal computers, tablets and smartphones anywhere anytime.
Apart from measures to attract and retain young talent, PTTEP organizes various programs to increase employees’ engagement, strengthen the corporate values of EP SPIRIT, and create a collaborative work environment in the organization. These include communication from top management through various communication campaigns and channels, and corporate value enhancement through employee engagement camp and EP SPIRIT workshops, etc.
The year 2019 was also the year when PTTEP attached high priority to prepare the organization for transformation in the digital era, including transforming its corporate culture through a project called “ENTERPRISE”. The project aims to transform PTTEP to become a competitive and adaptive company amidst continuous changes in the industry. The Employee Engagement Survey will be conducted again in 2020 to align with PTTEP’s direction to allow time for analysis and improvement and to measure the engagement of employees following the ENTERPRISE project. The company is confident that the overall staff engagement level will be satisfactory. The score for overall staff engagement with the company stood at 66% in 2018 with a low voluntary turnover rate of 3.70% and 2.88% in 2018 and 2019 respectively.
*From 2018 onward, Employee Engagement Survey will be conducted every two years to allow time for analysis and improvements.
PTTEP is one of the highest in trends of compensation and provides the best benefits of companies, able to compete with any other organizations in Thailand. Its remuneration policy relies on 3 mechanisms as follows.
- In-house equality - The similarities in work type, responsibility and work condition are justified to be equality in reward offering.
- Inter-organizational equality - The annual adjustment of remuneration takes into account the rates employed by other oil and gas companies domestically to ensure fair compensations in country where PTTEP invested in.
- Incentive provision – Individual employee's performance in the previous year is evaluated before incorporated into the annual merit increase and special payment (if any).
PTTEP also provides assistance to the employees through various HR programs such as medical assistance program, housing loan assistance program, financial assistance program (loans with special interest rates), scholarships for employees’ children, retirement preparation program, and the Employee Joint Investment Program (EJIP), etc. The EJIP program, an 8-years saving program (including Silent Period ending 2019), is intended to encourage the employees to co-invest with PTTEP by purchasing the company's shares at the market price so that the employees are motivated to work efficiently and effectively. The company is proud to run business with fairness, encouraging all the employees to grow together with the company and to create long-term engagement from all our employees.