Local Employment Policy
PTTEP attempts to hire local employees in every country we operate with an aim to provide decent and well-paid jobs to local people to improve their quality of living. In addition to providing job opportunities, PTTEP provides learning and development opportunities and ensures knowledge transfer from expatriates to local employees so that local employees obtain knowledge, skills and experience required to fulfil their current roles’ requirements and prepare their capability readiness to replace expatriates in the future for sustainable growth of PTTEP business and the economic and social development of the countries we operate in.
Human Capital Development
To increase the organization capability and accelerate the competency development of our staff for continuous expansion of the Company’s business domestically and internationally, PTTEP has developed and improved the capability development systems and processes by implementing the competency-based training and development, focusing on 70:20:10 development model (70% On-the-Job Training, 20% Coaching and Mentoring, 10% Formal Training). Training and development programs are provided to employees through the following channels.
- In-House and External Training: The Company provides in-house and external trainings, domestically and overseas, to employees and management at all levels. These trainings comprise a wide variety of courses including technical and functional training, Safety, Security, Health and Environment (SSHE) training, organizational knowledge training as well as other skills required to increase day-to-day work efficiency e.g. computer skills training, foreign language training, business administration and leadership skills training, etc.
- Long-term Training and Development Programs: Long-term training and development programs aim to prepare employees for roles and assignments in the Company’s current and future projects. The programs are generally provided to selected employees based on their Individual Development Plan (IDP) in 1 – 3 years. By this approach, the employees are required to undertake on-the-job training through assignments with the Company's projects or assets or be temporarily assigned to work with the Company’s business partners or services companies in Thailand and overseas.
- Master’s Degree Scholarship Programs for Employees: The Company provides scholarships to employees to help them pursue master’s degrees in world-class universities all over the world in the following fields.
- Petroleum Geosciences
- Petroleum Engineering
- Drilling and Well Engineering
- Business Administration
The Company also provides master’s degree scholarships for employees to study in Thailand’s reputable institutes as follows:
- Business Administration (Executive), SASIN Graduate Institute of Business Administration of Chulalongkorn University
- Petroleum Geoscience (International Program), Chulalongkorn University
- Petroleum Geophysics (International Program), Chiang Mai University
PTTEP has a systematic succession plan for vacant management positions resulting from retirement and reorganization in the next 5 years to support the Company’s business expansion domestically and internationally. The Career Review Board (CRB) Committee is authorized to select and appoint successors for management positions using PTTEP Management Success Profile of each business area (Asset Management, Business Development, Technical Support and Business Support) as screening criteria. These profiles comprise of Competency, Personal Attribute, Organization Knowledge and Experience required for target positions while Currently Estimated Potential (CEP) is also taken into consideration. Once the successors are identified, their individual short-term and long-term development plans will then be created with focus on technic and functional knowledge, managerial skills, personalities, and soft skills required in accordance with corporate values and organizational culture, to ensure that the successors are readily qualified for the target positions by time of requirement.
Talent Attraction and Retention
Recognizing an emerging trend of the increasing proportion of Generation Y and Generation Z employees in the organization and the labor market, PTTEP establishes and implements various talent attraction and retention programs to engage young talent.
We started using various social media platforms such as LinkedIn and Facebook for recruitment and are developing an online application to allow potential applicants to learn more about PTTEP and assess their personality traits for job fit and value and culture fit before applying for a job vacancy with the company.
PTTEP adjusts work environments to suit the young generations by allowing flexible working hours, Casual Fridays, as well as establishing a cozy, innovative and digital workplace called the “Innovation Playground” or “iPlay”; a modern and innovative common area for co-working space, hot-desk (mobile office), relaxation and recreation activities. The area is also used to promote innovation activities such as Design Thinking workshops and idea exchange event – “Kla (Share) Dee”.
In addition, Discovery club and E-Sport club were established in addition to the prior 23 employee clubs to respond to global trends in the areas of digital and innovation.
Moreover, PTTEP is applying chatbot technology to assist our employees in HR management activities e.g. getting information about welfare, benefits and processing leave request from their personal computers, tablets and smart phones anywhere anytime.
Apart from measures to attract and retain young talent, PTTEP organizes various programs to increase employees’ engagement, strengthen the corporate values of EP SPIRIT, and create a collaborative work environment in the organization. These include communication from top management through various communication campaigns and channels, and corporate value enhancement through employee engagement camp and EP SPIRIT workshops, etc.
PTTEP conducts an Employee Engagement Survey on an annual basis to assess the level of employee engagement towards the company, and collect feedback and recommendations to help create a happier and a more engaging workplace for employees. In 2018, 96% of PTTEP full-time employees responded to the survey – 66% of which were found to be engaged, higher than the average engagement level of organizations in Thailand market at 63%.
PTTEP is one of the highest in trends of compensation and provides the best benefits of companies, able to compete with any other organizations in Thailand. Its remuneration policy relies on 3 mechanisms as follows.
- In-house equality - The similarities in work type, responsibility and work condition are justified to be equality in reward offering.
- Inter-organizational equality - The annual adjustment of remuneration takes into account the rates employed by other oil and gas companies domestically.
- Incentive provision – Individual employee's performance in the previous year is evaluated before incorporated into the annual merit increase.
PTTEP also provides assistance to the employees through various HR programs such as medical assistance program, housing loan assistance program, financial assistance program (loans with special interest rates), scholarships for employees’ children, retirement preparation program, and the Employee Joint Investment Program (EJIP), etc. The EJIP, from 2013-2018, is intended to encourage the employees to co-invest with PTTEP by purchasing the company's shares at the market price so that the employees are motivated to work efficiently and effectively. The company is proud to run business with fairness, encouraging all the employees to grow together with the company.